The government of Tamilnadu have announced the revised Auto meter fares today
I received a call from the Transport Minister an hour back (Aug 25, 10AM) with the following details
- Minimum fare for the first 1.8 Km is Rs.25, and for every additional Km is Rs.12.
- Between 11pm to 5am the charges would be 50 percent in addition to the fare.
- Waiting charges for 5 minutes would be Rs.3.50 and for an hour it is Rs.42.
- Complaint mechanism helpline 'like 108' will be established
- It's the first time in India that the GPS electronic meter is going to be used, which would record the details of the journey travelled and has a panic button, that if pressed by the customer would alarm the police.
- GPS electronic meter will be issued for free by the government free, at a cost of Rs.80-90 crores
- From the news: Drivers charging extra will get their licence suspended or the auto will be seized.
- From the news: The corrected fares comes to effect immediately and the final deadline to the fix meter is October 15th.
- Reference - Relevant Government Order
- Our Chief Minister Ms.J. Jayalalithaa
- The Transport Minister Mr.Senthil Balaji
- The officials of the state transport department
- The 16,632 people who signed the petition to make this happen. Our voice was amplified 16,000 times because of you!
- Members of the press, especially The Times of India - Karthikeyan Hemalatha
- www.Change.org - for creating the platform, esp. Surendran Balachandran for all the guidance & encouragement
- The awesome team at Bhumi, anything is possible as a team!