I am one of the co-founders of Bhumi, one of India’s largest independent youth volunteer non-profit organisations and the recipient of the ‘Leader in Volunteer Engagement Award’ conferred by iVolunteer. Bhumi as a platform will enable over 5,000 volunteers in more than 10 cities across India volunteer for causes like education, environment, animals, community welfare etc. in 2014. Bhumi volunteers primarily work amongst over 15,000 underprivileged children in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Telengana, Maharashtra, West Bengal, Rajasthan and Delhi NCR with the aim of providing children with quality supplementary education to enable them become responsible and productive citizens of the future.
Bhumi's growth has been made possible by the time, energy and contributions of several thousand great individuals like you across the country. Bhumi has also been supported by some CSR initiatives over the years. Both Bhumi's growth and our supporter base has continued to grow exponentially each year. But this year due to the withdrawal of some CSR funding we are facing a fund crunch that is curtailing our investments in education. So, I have decided to do the 10K Run for the education of Children at The Wipro Chennai Marathon #TWCM on Dec 7, 2014. Update, I am also doing the Republic Day Half Marathon in Chennai on Jan 26, 2015
38 days to go for the Wipro Marathon I have started my preparation and fundraising with a target of raising at least INR five lakhs for Bhumi.
- For every lakh or part of it I raise for our cause I pledge to stay vegetarian for a month.
- I will practice running at least five days a week until the marathon, and for every week I am unable to do this I will add another week of vegetarianism
- Additionally, If I succeed in raising at least five lakh rupees for our cause I will run with a funny hat or costume at the marathon (1 and 2, edited 31/10)
I am running for education, #Running4Bhumi , Run with me
Donations to Bhumi through the above link will be matched by Letzchange*.
International donors can donate via Global Giving - Bhumi
There are other volunteers who are runnig for Bhumi in the Delhi, Chennai and Mumbai Marathons. You could support them too.
- Day 01 | 38 days to go | 2.21 KM | 29.57 Mins | 78.6 KGs
- Day 02 | 37 days to go | 2.50 KM | 27.29 Mins
- Day 03 | 36 days to go | 4.00 KM | 36.49 Mins
- Day 04 | 35 days to go | 2.50 KM | 25.15 Mins
- Day 05 | 33 days to go | 4.12 KM | 41.44 Mins
- Day 06 | 32 days to go | 4.52 KM | 40.57 Mins
- Day 07 | 31 days to go | 4.71 KM | cross training | 78.4 KGs
- Day 08 | 29 days to go | 3.40 KM | 37.35 Mins
- Day 09 | 28 days to go | 6.30 KM | 51.56 Mins
- Day 10 | 27 days to go | 3.01 KM | 33.02 Mins
- Day 11 | 26 days to go | 5.52 KM | 55.31 Mins
- Day 12 | 25 days to go | 5.04 KM | 44.06 Mins | 78.8 KGs
- Day 13 | 22 days to go | 3.63 KM | 39.49 Mins
- Day 14 | 21 days to go | 5.00 KM | cross training
- Day 15 | 20 days to go | 5.01 KM | 45.37 Mins | Eureka Run
- Day 16 | 19 days to go | 3.23 KM | 35.04 Mins
- Day 17 | 18 days to go | 6.25 KM | 51.55 Mins
- Day 18 | 16 days to go | 3.27 KM | 35.39 Mins
- Day 19 | 15 days to go | 7.20 KM | 61.44 Mins
- Day 20 | 14 days to go | 3.34 KM | 31.14 Mins
- Day 21 | 13 days to go | 3.33 KM | 32.50 Mins
- Day 22 | 11 days to go | 5.70 KM | 55.46 Mins
- Day 23 | 09 days to go | 6.00 KM | 58.34 Mins
- Day 24 | 08 days to go | 10.79 KM | 102.39 Mins | First 10 K @ 91m 56s Woohoo!
- Day 25 | 06 days to go | Banagalore
- Day 26 | 04 days to go | 5.40 KM | 49.16 Mins
- Day 27 | 03 days to go | 6.54 KM | 60.28 Mins
- Day 28 | 02 days to go | 2.62 KM | 25.21 Mins
- Day 29 | 01 day to go | Dec 6, rest
- Day 30 | Race day | 10 KM @ 91m16s :D
Update: I have also participated in the Republic Day Half Marathon in Chennai (Jan 25,2015) completing 10 KM @ 86 m26s
As per my pledge I will stay vegetarian for 5 weeks (4 for the lakh, 1 for missing my training target in the last week) from Jan 26, 2015 - March 1,2015. The page will continue to be live so you can
until March 31, 2015. Thank you for your support.